Thursday, January 3, 2013

My Alpha Male

Here is something I made two years back but published just now. It's hilarious in a very serious way. Enjoy reading! :)

Last night I could not sleep so I decided to write stuff in my doodle book. I initially did not have any particular topic of interest in mind so I let my thoughts linger and finally, a stimulus came in the form of a text message. I wouldn't care to elaborate the contents anymore but it triggered me to write this.

I remember making a poem back in the days when my hair was straight as silk and parted in the middle. I actually I wrote a lot of poems back then and this one particular poem was written much later than most and it was inspired by a blog i read about someone's ideal guy. And so I made my list too in poetry form. I could no longer recall all of its content but I'm pretty sure it was cheesy and fairytale-ish - like how a typical teenage hopeless romantic would describe her ideal Prince.

Two years into the real world, I wonder if that list still holds true. Two years in the workforce, I look at the mirror and see a more mature young woman, full of zest and dreams for the future but now with a more open and practical mind. To call myself jaded is an overstatement. Perhaps I just grew out of my fantasies, and has been struggling to deal with reality - which proves to be not as easy as I've always imagined it to be. So anyway, as I was trying to picture out the kind of partner I want to have, I couldn't help but relate these to my past lessons in Evolutionary Psychology, especially the one about mating preferences.

So what exactly do I hope for in a mate? Here's my latest list.

  1. The Funny One. Despite our perpetual bickering, I realized I actually want someone like my dad, minus the tantrums. He is witty, street-mart, and when in the mood, can turn a long and dreary 45 minute drive home way better than one episode of How I Met Your Mother. Papsie's a natural comedian and I'm not surprised why our Mom fell for him. I think I dig that too. I want someone who takes life seriously enough to survive but can still manage to laugh at little things, even at himself. I want someone who can turn angry and sad tears into tears of joy and laughter. I want him to leave me breathless - because I'd be laughing all the time. :)
  2. The Mature Child. I want someone who can take the lead - yes, I want the take-charge kind of guy. I know I can be domineering at most times so I want him to be the one to "tame me" and take charge so I would no longer feel the need to do so. But despite being mature and practical, he doesn't forget the child within him who gets excited over surprises, and does not run out of the adventure spirit!
  3. The Corny Manly-Man. I can imagine myself being with a man who does not need to constantly prove himself to me or to anybody else for that matter. A manly-man is someone who knows how his strengths and shortcomings and who constantly strives to be a better version of himself everyday. A corny manly-man isn't afraid of making a fool of himself because he knows where he stands.
  4. The Dependable, Loyal Bunny. I had the Energizer bunny in mind when I was thinking about this part. Like the Energizer Bunny, I want someone I can depend on. Someone who will take care of me when I can't. Someone who will tell me what I need to hear, not what I want to hear.
  5. The Gracious Chevalier. In this age that is marked by a sad poverty of values, I want a man who knows a woman's value and strives to ensure that she is being taken care of, respected, and protected despite knowing that she can very well do it by herself. 
  6. The Best Friend. They say that the best foundation of a romantic relationship is friendship. I want my man to be my best friend so that when the fire of passion dies down, there would still be the embers of our friendship that will light and warm up our lives, especially when we get old. 
  7. The Respectful One Woman Man. Sharing is good but not when it comes to your life partners. I want someone who can appreciate God's beautiful creation but who also knows his limits. I want someone who respects my dignity as woman and a person.
  8. The Promise-Keeper. I was once told to find a man who not only treats me right but who keeps his word. Talk is cheap and promises will only have meaning when you see them coming alive through actions. A lot of men will promise you the universe, but only a few will ever truly try to give it to you.
  9. The Goal-Oriented Family Man. I want a man who puts his family before himself. He has great plans for himself and for his family and he commits himself into making these plans a reality.
  10. The Man Who Loves Me. Need I say more? 
I am a 22 year old young woman against the billions of men out there. What are the odds that I'll bump into this ideal guy? Probably never, or I probably already have him. ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment